Monday, July 15, 2013

Harley Davidson Update

Harley-Davidson (HOG) slips 0.55% premarket after Wedbush downgrades the stock to Neutral from...
Harley-Davidson (HOG) slips 0.55% premarket after Wedbush downgrades the stock to Neutral from Market Perform citing mediocre channel checks as wet weather hit the motorcycle industry in Q2. FY13 EPS estimate is cut to $3.30 from $3.40.
I've been thinking that motorcycle sales have probably not been great this quarter for precisely this reason.  But then, I screw up and think "Well, that's just the weather here.  Could be different elsewhere."  Then I screw up and listen to the weatherman who insists we're having a drought.  Anyway, if my "gut instinct" means anything at all, I might expect an even worse EPS than $3.30 simply because a Harley is quite an investment, and given that the riding season is about half over, depending on where you live of course, I don't think sales will pick up much for the rest of the year.  I haven't actually figured any new price target, and I'm thinking that this won't result in any kind of significant change to my 1 year price target of $60.  Part of the reasoning for that is that next year, weather permitting and assuming that Harley sales have been slow this year because of rain, we might expect some pent-up demand for motorcycles.  However, given that the stock is now $2 over my previous fair value estimate, I wouldn't be jumping in to HOG just yet.

No comments: